Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 14 California Sunshine

     I pulled into Kolton early last week and immediately the friendliness continued. The cashier at Rite Aid bought me water, a small bag of groceries, and an ice cream cone before letting me leave the store. David Wood told me the world is a friendly and welcoming place, I am really starting to experience that. I left the store and spent most the day traveling. I walked nearly 15 miles to get to the Bowman's house in Mentone. Not only did they feed me but gave me a bed for four days! They live in the house I grew up in. It has always been good to go back there but this time was especially warming. My first morning there I went to apply for food stamps to help get me by while I am still here in the U.S. I had no trouble getting them and after my appointment I went over to check out the local food bank I had heard about. I volunteered a total of about 20 hours there. Over that period we fed nearly 500 families for the upcoming week. In exchange for my hours I got as much food as I wanted any time I wanted.
     When I decided my time was up in my hometown, I took 4 buses plus a Greyhoud to get to Desert Hot Springs. Just outside of Palm Springs, CA. The past week has not been very eventful, I have been checking out the town and looking for a job. From here to Indio jobs are pretty scarce, but there are a couple that I think will come through pretty soon. My real struggle will not be getting a job, but getting to the job. I'm 14 miles from the nearest bus stop and all I have is a bike! Getting to town is quite strenuous and I can't say I look forward to making that trip everyday. However my legs are stronger and my lungs are healthier so I wont complain anymore.
     I've had lots more opportunities to read lately and I'd like to share one passage that I found inspiring. It is again from Fahrenheit 451 where America has reached the end of the road it is currently on. The Government is in control of the people and have completely brainwashed them. It takes away everything productive and intellectual and replaces it with entertainment. The American public consists of workers and no thinkers. The quote is from a man defending the Government. Here it is.
     "Any man who can take a TV apart and put it back together is happier than the man who tries to slide-rule, measure, or equate the universe, which just wont be measured or equated without making a man feel bestial and lonely. I know, I've tried it; to hell with it. So bring your clubs and parties, your acrobats and magicians, your daredevils, jet cars, motorcycle helicopters, your sex and heroin, more of anything to do with automatic reflex. If the drama is bad, if the film says nothing, if the play is hallow, sting me with theremin, loudly. I'll think I'm responding to the play, when its only a tactile reaction to vibration. But I don't care, I just like solid entertainment."
     Now at first I felt like I was connecting more with the man who is pro gov. Some of my biggest frustrations come from our lack of knowledge about the universe. All the time I wish that the next breakthroughs in science came more quickly. After reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, my eyes were open to a new world in the world that we live in. As soon as I'm rich I swear that most of my income will go straight to finding the theory that connects the Theory of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. Once we get that answer we will know not only fulfil all our questions of the world we live in, but we will be that much closer in knowing the mind of God. Now perhaps that higher power is keeping us from proving his existence through science, but I don't believe that for a second. The God I have known would love nothing more for his own creations to meet that challenge. He wants us to excel and learn all we can about the Universe. Trying to prove Gods existence does not keep me from believing, but pushes and encourages me to take the steps to strengthen myself and expand my knowledge. Now back to the quote considering how similar that relates to so much of our culture today, it made me grateful to have left my phone and gadgets behind, to force me to keep my eyes up and focus on what I find important in life. Too much do we get caught up in worldly things that are distracting. We all need to try to spend less time entertaining ourselves and more time producing and learning. It has been good and bad that my Internet time is so limited. I can't surf the web and waste time which has been great but that is also the reason its been so long since my last post.
     Again the past week has not been too terribly exciting except for getting to see my family the Doseys. Also I want so badly to respond to everyone who is following and commenting. Give me time I really do want to talk to all of you! Keep the comments and suggestions coming. I've changed direction, rearranged my "books to read" list, and even changed my outlook on life all due to your simple comments. Also for anyone who is still worried or confused, I really am doing great. I have yet to get myself in any type of dangerous situation and will continue to watch my back. I keep my money hidden, a weapon on me, and never travel at night. This is basically a long hike with some long stops in between and I'm never in harms way. So don't be worried and again let me know your thoughts! Also make sure you say who you are and leave your email OR email me so we can get a conversation going, I know most of you, but there have been a couple comments that I'm not quite sure who they are from.
     Thanks again for all the support I will talk to you all soon :)

4 comments:

  1. Jake,
    I think what you are doing is going to be a life long lesson learned. It is amazing to hear a young person talk about education of entertainment. I am glad you are being causious. I find your posts enlightening and interesting. Keep moving in the direction, where you heart sends you. I will pray for your mom, as if it were me, I would be worried sick. Good luck on your adventure.
    Shareene Strem
    shareene_strem@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake,
    David and I are excited to see all the places you will go. It makes me think of the Dr. Seuss book," Oh, The Places You'll Go " I love the last page. If you find a second pick it up. I know you will enjoy it. Well we live in San Jacinto about 30 mins. from Palm Springs. We would love to see you. You always have a bed,shower, and a warm meal here. We love ya!!!!
    Katrina

    Katrinam21@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jake,
    Miss hearing your deep voice over the speaker @ work! I am impressed with the preparation and thought you have put into this journey, creating rules for yourself and sticking to them.
    I second Jake's recommended reading of "The 5000 year leap". Great primer for understanding how and why God created this "promised land" for us to live in, which provided a freedom that was essential for us to have experiences to learn and grow, just like you are having.
    We will keep you and your amazing mother in our prayers! :) She is a strong lady, and only when you have children of your own will you be able to fully appreciate her and the tremendous amount of faith she has in you and God. So do it well and you will glean the most possible out of this journey! Good luck on your brave adventure!
    Your neighbor
    t3sutterfield@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jake can you give me your email address so that I can send you a message? I have seemed to misplace it somewhere and would love to communicate with you. We love you and hope that you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete